Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Leander March 25th
Sunday, March 25, 2012 from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM (CDT)
Liberty Hill, TX
PLEASE REVIEW THE SCHEDULE
AND LOCATION INFORMATION BELOW
Included In Your Class For New Applicants:
- Photos, Photo Holder, Range fee, CHL-100
- **Renewals no longer are required to have fingerprints, photos or notary, unless DPS requests them. The price of our renewal class does not include these services.
7:45am: Check In
Noon: Lunch Break
1:00pm: Class resumes and Renewals arrive
7:00: Class concludes
Range: Best of the West Shooting Sports 19500 W SH 29 Liberty Hill
Items to bring to the range:
- .32 or higher handgun
- 50 rounds of ammunitiion
- eye & ear protection
- closed toe shoes
Topics to be covered in class:
- Legal Aspects of Concealed Carry
- Use of Force/Deadly Force
- Safe Handling and Storage
- Gun & Caliber Selection
- Non Violent Dispute Resolution
- Written Test & CHL 100
Certified NRA Instructor
Texas Concealed Handgun License Instructor
Combat Fitness Coach
Requirements To Apply
Review the Eligibility Requirements before you begin the process. If you do not meet the requirements there are no refunds for the class or application fee paid to the state of Texas.
NEW APPLICANTS: Steps To Apply For Your CHL
(not necessarily in this order) must be completed before you can submit your final application to DPS:
1. Go to DPS website and submit your online application:
https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/txapp/txdps/chl/ or google TX DPS CHL. At the end of the application form (after you pay the state's fee), you will print out a receipt of your payment and a checklist of other required items to be included in your packet. You will recognize this sheet by the huge barcode at the top of the page. SAVE AND PRINT THIS SHEET. It must be mailed in with the remainder of the application materials after you have taken the class. Once you have completed step 1 you only have ONE YEAR to complete the remaining steps or you will forfeit your application fee to TX DPS
2. Register for and take a CHL class. You must pass the written test and the shooting test. Once you have passed both sections of the class we will provide you a Completion Certificate (CHL-100). CAPS offers a regular schedule of classes in Cedar Park and Fort Hood, registration links can be found on the home page.
3. Obtain two passport photos. We provide photos as part of our class fee for our regularly scheduled classes. We do not provide photos for private classes, unless it is a group of 10 or more. You can go to Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, etc to obtain photos. We will also provide you the Photo Holder/ID Signature Form and envelope for your pictures.
4. Fingerprints: DPS NO LONGER ACCEPTS ROLLED-INK PRINTS. You must get your fingerprints taken at an L1 Identity contracted provider. They are the sole provider of DPS-authorized fingerprint services. You MUST make an appointment for your fingerprint session with L1, they do not accept walk ins. Go to the website: http://www.ibtfingerprint.com/ or call 1-888-467-2080 to schedule an appointment. Your prints will automatically be submitted to DPS. This step can be done anytime after you complete step 1
5. Submit your packet to DPS with all necessary materials: Reciept/Checklist, CHL-100, photos, photo holder form. Your checklist may include additional items depending upon your own circumstances, such as proof of military status, court records for prior criminal history, proof of citizenship, etc.
What To Expect During Your CHL Class
Required Course Hours
New License 8:00am-7:00pm
Renewal License 8:00am-1:00pm or 1:00pm-7:00pm
Topics to be covered in class:
Legal Aspects of Concealed Carry
Discussion of Texas Law In Regards To Use of Force/Deadly Force
Non Violent Dispute Resolution
Safe Handling & Storage Of Firearms
Basic Marksmenship and Range Brief
Gun & Caliber Selection For Concealed Carry
Situational Awareness and Mental Preperation for Concealed Carry
Video & Audio Examples
It is required that each applicant take a written test that consisits of 50 questions
multiple choice and true/false questions. A score of 70% is required to pass the
classroom portion of class
It is required that each applicant participate in 50 round course of fire scoring a 70%
or better to pass the range portion of class.
Once you are enrolled in class you will receive an email prior to your class with the
password to access your student handbook.
CHL-100 Course Completetion Certificate
Once you have completed the required class hours, we will give you a CHL-100 to add to
your packet to be sent to TXDPS for processing.
DPS Customer Service Phone Number:1-800-224-5744
When & Where
Capitol Area Practical Shooting
Welcome to CAPS
What Our Clients Say About CAPS
Karen A. (Leander)